[linux-audio-dev] convenient ogg vorbis wrapper

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Fri Sep 16 20:22:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep, 2005 at 03:39PM +0200, Richard Spindler spake thus:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a convenient wrapper library for ogg vorbis, because
> what I've found on the xiph.org pages looks a little overengineered to
> me.
>
> I've used libsndfile most of the time, so this is the API Style that
> I'd prefer, basically I need 4 functions I believe:
>
> what_samplerate_are_you( vorbis_file );
> how_long_are_you( vorbis_file );
> seek_to_position( vorbis_file, 23456 );
> read_data( vorbis_file, buffer );
>
> libvorbis and libogg however have to interact in some obscure way and
> I honestly don't want to waste my time reinventing the wheel, while I
> could be hacking on a new asskicking application ;)

Then this is the least of your worries.  An asskicking application
will require you to use libboot and libkick, and these need to
communicate (quite violently) with the remote procedure "ass".
Ogg/vorbis is trivial in comparison.

Anyway, why do you americans have such a thing against donkeys?  You
all need your arses kicking.

> -Richard

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)