[linux-audio-dev] libcui - design-question

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Mon Sep 19 09:26:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:46:26AM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:

> I've feared this effect of half-hearted accessibility support
> for graphical desktops under Linux, and it seems my fears have come
> true: Just because there *is* an attempt to make GUIs accessible
> doesnt necessarily mean that all people needing accessibility
> support should immediately be forced to use the new shiny (crashing)
> stuff.  There is a reason why we blind people prefer text mode
> UIs, and that is because they are way more efficient than every
> Accessible GUI can ever be.  That has been true when 99% of
> the user base had to switch from DOS to Windows 10 years
> ago, and it will continue to be true under Linux.

Right. I just fail to understand why people come up with
things like ATK and suggest that 'any GUI based app' will
instantly be accessible - you don't need to be a genius to
see this will never work.

There is at least one Linux audio app that gets this right
ATM and that is Linuxsampler - complete separation of app
and interface. You can controll all of it by typing commands
in a terminal running netcat.

Aeolus is going the same way: in the next official release
the X interface will be a plugin, and a text only version
of the UI will be provided.

If ever I find the time to do an AMS II, that will be written
from the start with a text interface. It's a bit more effort,
but worth it.

--
FA