[linux-audio-dev] emu10k1 questions

Garett Shulman shulmang at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 20 20:01:46 UTC 2005

Hello, I am trying to figure out what my Live 512 & alsa are capable of.
I have been trying to compare what I am seeing in the system with what I
have been able to find in literature and posts. I was wondering if
anyone might be able to offer any clarification. First of all, I am
trying to figure out what the different I/O I see are. In
/etc/asound/devices I see:
  4: [0- 0]: hardware dependent
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
 19: [0- 3]: digital audio playback    This is digital mixer output?
 18: [0- 2]: digital audio playback    This is Synth or FX output?
 26: [0- 2]: digital audio capture       FX capture?
 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture       Device 1?
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback    Is this the codec playback?
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture      Is this the codec capture?
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  1:       : sequencer
  6: [0- 2]: hardware dependent
  9: [0- 1]: raw midi
 10: [0- 2]: raw midi   Which midi devices are which?
What do the different numbers represent? subdevice: [card- device]: ?
This seems a bit reasonable but kind of contradicts the output I get
from aplay -l:
card 0: Live [SB Live [Unknown]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC
Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
  Subdevices: 32/32
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #31: subdevice #31
card 0: Live [SB Live [Unknown]], device 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel
Capture/PT Playback]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: Live [SB Live [Unknown]], device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Here it would seem that device 2 does not have a subdevice 26 as
suggested by my (perhaps wrong) interpretation of /proc/asound/devices
Thanks. -Garett