[linux-audio-dev] Re: (1) Jack -- busted? (2) jack.udp -- busted? (3) jack-osx -- binary-only?

Stephen Travis Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 23 19:28:00 UTC 2005

Hello again,

I just answered question (2) about jack.udp when I realized that
recv.c is #included in jack.udp.c (and itself includes packet.c).

(I teach a graduate course on digital audio development, and this
just made it onto the list of "don't ever program like this.")

Perhaps some more background would be helpful. I started to look at
this after someone on the CLAM list mentioned the remote socket
streaming protocol we use in the CREATE Signal Library (CSL, see
http://www.create.ucsb.edu/CSL). We are currently discussing moving
from UDP to TCP, and I'm interested in actual user experience with
jack.udp. I notice that the server and client both fail and exit at
the first sign of trouble (like out-of-sequence packets).

There was some network traffic a couple of years ago about this. Is
anyone using this regularly?

Is anyone interested in collaborating on a common sample streaming
protocol (possibly based on a somewhat simplified version of SDIF or
the SC3 protocol)?

stp

--
   Stephen Travis Pope -- http://create.ucsb.edu/~stp
   Center for Research in Electronic Art Technology, University of

Begin forwarded message: