[linux-audio-dev] External audio interface (edirol FA/UA-101)

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi
Fri Sep 30 18:38:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 10:39 +0200, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> i think the jack API garantees power of 2 size buffers to clients. So
> while jack itself might work, some clients that depend on a power of 2
> buffersize will fail horribly if something different is used.

Hmmh, at least the documentation didn't state anything like that a while
back (if I remember correctly). And at least my applications won't
expect anything about the buffer size.

In fact when using sample rate converted ports (some of my experimental
stuff) it may not be even same size for all callbacks. But hey, that's
why there's period size argument passed to the callback, IMO.

Converting the buffer size on application side to some specific 2^x is
anyway needed when doing FFT or similar.

There may be applications or hardware passing something other than 2^x
buffers for example because it's some specific length in milliseconds,
etc.

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi>