[linux-audio-dev] Re: GPL Audio Hardware

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 03:22:20 UTC 2006

> I know basically nothing about audio technology.  But given what
> little I do know, here are some things that I think would be
> relatively easy to do with OGD1 and, what shall we call it, OAC1:
> - 60+ audio channels (pick your combination of in and out)
> - (A specialized card could handle lots more channels)
> - 24-bit precision per channel
> - Sample rates in the hundreds of kilohertz
> - Thousands of audio samples and MIDI instruments
> - Sample-based and algorithmically-generated sound-effects
> - Fourier analysis, band filters, mixing, and other sorts of math
> stuff that if I could name it, you'd be impressed
> - Noise-free signals (because we have experience with graphics)
> - Accelerated "3D sound"
> - Accelerated compression/decompression
> - Lots of other things

This collection sounds very consumer great. Thousands of audio samples
and MIDI instruments? wtf? Sample-based and algorithmically-generated
sound-effects? Accelerated "3D sound"? Accelerated
compression/decompression? I have a big freaking cpu for that stuff.
Sounds very soundblaster esq. Apart from the 60+ channels which sounds
like a really, really big rack mounting. If that is on xlr plugs or
1/4" it's huge. Also no discussion about non-soundbasteresq stuff like
balanced in/out, decent pre's, hi-z inputs, dat optical in/out, master
clock and clock source, etc. I think looking at the echo layla or
maudio 1010 is somewhat more useful to most of us than 60 channels.

Loki