[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] music engine

Patrick Stinson patrickkidd.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 22:07:52 UTC 2006

Nice work with that screenshot.

The hard part is finding an engine that appears light-weight to the
application code. The engine has to never xrun, and allow me to make
calls like sound.set_tempo(140.0), sound.start_on_beat(2345), and
channel.set_volume(.678) without worrying about threads. Considering
how many people want to learn a graphical kit and write audio apps,
these requirements seem only natural.

I've been trying to put the pksampler(.sf.net) together for a long
time and have always stumbled on the engine; and every time its the
communication mecahnism. I can re-write Ableton Live with qt, and even
make it fast in python (which escapes the linux-only concept, mind you
:)) - that's not hard. What is hard is finding an engine that lets me
focus on my GUI as opposed to the engine or *anything* related to
communicating with the engine (besides the above calls, of course).
Yes, I'm being picky. I think I've thrown away enough C,C++, and now
python code to be picky.

I'm still sifting through the suggestions above, most I have seen,
some I have not.

BTW, I write for touchscreens, so I want an Ableton Live with big
freakin widgets!

--
Patrick Kidd Stinson
http://www.patrickkidd.com/