[linux-audio-dev] debugging xruns

Jan Weil Jan.Weil at web.de
Fri Apr 7 08:48:47 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 06.04.2006, 20:52 +0200 schrieb fons adriaensen:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:28:32PM +0200, Jan Weil wrote:
> > This is a Thinkpad T43 with an unpatched 2.6.16 with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y,
> > jackd 0.100.7, 2x64 at 48000.

> Have you been able to use -p 64 with 2.6.16 on the Thinkpad with ACPI ?
> I had no problems with it on my R51 when using 2.6.8 (SuSE 9.2), but
> since 2.6.13 (SuSE 10.0) I have to disable it. Killing the modules doesn't
> help, but acpi=off on the kernel command line does. Same with 2.6.15-rt.
> APM doesn't seem to do any harm, so that's what I use now. I wonder if
> the new dbus things are causing this.

Yes, ACPI is enabled and running ardour the system is rock solid, no
xruns at all (which is great!). I still have problems running other
apps, though, e. g. freewheeling. After a couple of minutes xruns start
occuring on a regular basis. Disabling ACPI didn't help, neither did
-rt10. Unfortunately, I suspect these xruns being caused by the hdsp
module sharing its interrupt with several others including eth0 and ATIs
binary-only fglrx which I'm currently forced to use because xorg refuses
to start otherwise. Additionally, -rt10 somehow made my system appear
slugghish, e. g. booting takes significantly longer. I guess that's not
what it's supposed to do. I'm still tweaking the whole system. Maybe Lee
& Co. can lead me through the debugging process. How can I find out what
causes these xruns? [And yes, I'm trying hard to get rid of fglrx. ;-)]

Jan