[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] music engine

carmen ix at replic.net
Sat Apr 8 03:04:19 UTC 2006

On Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 11:22:48PM +0200, Albert Graef wrote:
> Dave Robillard wrote:
> >I've been toying with the idea of adding support for gstreamer
> >sources...
>
> I also have a Q module for gstreamer on my TODO list (more geared
> towards video playback and editing, though). Has anyone tried gstreamer
> lately? Is it usable? Does the API still change a lot?

its definitely the first point of failure, be it some weird pipe issue, refusing to playback at all, buffering problems, file-metainfo-chokage, etc. in any audio app ive tried that users it (well mainly banshee, rhythmbox, bmpx, and amarok). im not alone (and my comrades have different reasons): http://lwn.net/Articles/178336/

what advantage does it serve other than insulating yourself against the external API (ALSA dying in 6 months? i think not..)