[linux-audio-dev] Please help: 16-channel recording w/ LAYLA, ALSA, JACK, ARDOUR

Lance Blisters geoff at hurl.ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 12 07:03:31 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:17:47AM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 16:04 -0700, Lance Blisters wrote:
> > I bought a Layla24 and Cardbus adaptor.  Works beatifully with ALSA/JACK/ARDOUR up to 8 channels.  However, the soundcard presents the 8 analog channels as device 0 and 8 digital channels as device 1.  JACK will only open one device at a time.  So in order to record and play back 16 channels with Ardour, I apparently need to create a virtual ALSA device combining the two LAYLA subdevices.
> >

> Does this work?  (based on
> http://www.sound-man.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html)
>
> # .asoundrc for layla
> #
> # Create virtual devices out of multiple subdevices
> # JACK will need MMAP_COMPLEX support to use this.
>
> pcm.multi_capture {
> 	type multi
> 	slaves.a.pcm hw:0,0
> 	slaves.a.channels 8
> 	slaves.b.pcm hw:0,1

The above line produces the following:

ALSA lib conf.c:1592:(snd_config_load1)_toplevel_:606:27:Unexpected char
ALSA lib conf.c:2837:(snd_config_hook_load)/root/.asoundrc may be old or corrupted consider to remove or fix it

Character 27 is either the '1' or the newline.

The MMAP_COMPLEX note might be relevant to a dead end i reached earlier.  Does anyone know whether planetccrma builds jack with this option?  jackd --help doesn't mention.  i have version jackd 0.100.6.

Thanks for the assistance.

  -geoff