[linux-audio-dev] (no subject)

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil at ccrma.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 14 20:37:17 UTC 2006

Paul Davis:

>> P> just think, if this had been in place 4 years ago, ardour's editor would
>> P> have been snd-as-embedded-widget. good? bad? you tell me ;)
>>
>> It would make for an extremely powerful and flexible audio
>> environment with a fast interface.  Might we hope?
>
> i wouldn't spend any time hoping. i spent a month or so back in
> 2000/2001 trying to use snd as ardour's editor. when it became clear
> that it couldn't handle much more than about 8-12 tracks of playback,
> while ardour itself could do 32+, all other considerations were put
> aside and it was clear we had to develop our own. the other major
> problem with snd is that it has no concept of regions - its model for
> audio data is that its a continuous file rather than a playlist. that
> pretty much ended any debate on the matter.

Yeah, that makes sense. However, it would be very nice to have snd as a
widget in ardour to edit single soundfiles. If you add some guile
functions in ardour to update the graphs in the multitracker waveforms
views as well, one could edit in snd (inside ardour somewhere) and
immediately see changes in the multitracker view.