[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Repository

Lars Luthman larsl at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 20 19:48:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 02:30 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> It is widely felt that the LADSPA plugins are becoming difficult for
> average users to manage due to the number of available plugins and the
> many different packages available.
>
> There is also a problem that developers face when managing different
> plugins as UniqueIds are not assigned by a central authority so it is
> possible that there can be double ups.
>
> I am volunteering my time to code a new web portal with the express
> purpose of providing a single place to get all known LADSPA plugins and
> packages. It will be hosted at ladspa.linuxaudio.org. it will also serve
> as a central automated authority for assigning UniqueIds.
>
> I would like to use this thread to discuss the finer details of the
> functionality of the site and how to make a package of all Plugins which
> will also be hosted on the site. The site will be run with a MYSQL DB. I
> intend to code it in AJAX style with a PHP+MYSQL backend.
>
> It will be a fully automated web portal and administrative interface.
>
> Here are the features:
> ---------------
> - Add new plugin/s via batch or manual upload/insert
> - Automated assigning of UniqueIds
> - Create complete package tarball automatically
>
> - Administrative interface for managing plugins and developer profiles
> etc...
> - User friendly frontend with accessibility: css, java, php, html, xml
> ----------------
>
> I will appreciate your indepth analysis of the best methods to allow the
> above features for the portal. At this stage the most important points
> to discuss are how to manage the plugins efficiently and with minimal
> overhead and assigning UniqueIds automatically.

How about a machine-friendly interface for searching and downloading
plugin tarballs (or references to distribution packages) so one could
write a tool like CPAN for LADSPAs? An automated way to download and
install plugins would be really useful if it could be integrated into
software like Om, Ardour, JACK-rack etc. Scenario: you try to load a new
Om patch that you downloaded from the net, you get the message "You
don't have the 'foo' plugin, do you want to install it?", click Yes, and
a few seconds (or minutes) later the plugin is installed and the patch
is loaded.

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php