[linux-audio-dev] RDF for CAPS plugins

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Apr 21 01:05:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:12:53PM -0400, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Tim Goetze wrote:
>
> >One thing I don't understand about this lrdf business is how you type
> >(or generate) a line that reads
> >
> ><rdfs:Class rdf:about="http://ladspa.org/ontology#TimePlugin"
> >ladspa:hasLabel="Time">
> >
> >when http://ladspa.org/ontology is (and has been for some time) a 404.
>
> The URI doesn't have to resolve.  It's more a promise that it's a
> unique name because presumably, you own the domain name.

Yep, that's something that took me a long time to accept about XML.
URIs are used as namespaces all over the place, and they very often
don't resolve to anything.

You get used to it eventually :-P

OTOH, it's pretty obvious why this is the case. Imagine if it *did* have
to resolve to something.  What would that mean? it only works when the
server's up? (and DNS, and the end user's internet connection, and and
and...) That would suck so bad.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com