[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2 decision points

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sat Apr 22 18:22:09 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 19:12 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> We haven't heard from a number of key people yet, but I think the overall
> impression is positive so far. There are a number of decisions that need
> to be made if it's going to go ahead. Either things that I didn't
> consider, or where I made arbitrary choices:
>
> A) Dropping runAdding: personally I dont think runAdding is worthwhile. How
> many hosts take advantage of it? Its something LADSPA 1.1 can do and 2.0
> wouldn't be able to though.
>
> B) RDF syntax: RDF/Turtle seems a lot more popular in these parts than
> RDF/XML. We could mandate Turtle for all LADSPA metadata.

Personally I think it's ugly and strange and arbitrary and just weird
all around, but whatever.  I don't really care. :)

> E) Bundles: no-one screamed when I suggested it, but its a bit different to
> LADSPA 1's /lib directory. Hosts would be required to allow the plugin
> link to libraries in the bundle if they need to (this is why OPENSTEP did
> it, I guess its done by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I dont know), which
> is a bit more work, but makes moving plugins between machines easier. Oh,
> and the plugins needs to have the path of its bundle passed to it when its
> instantiated, which isn't in the API right now.

I like the bundle idea, but I thik we need to have a long hard think
about this WRT distro package management systems and FHS compliance.  We
do need some way of allowing plugins to load libraries though, but is it
really necessary to do the DLL Hell thing to allow it?

-DR-