[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2 example plugin changes

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sun Apr 23 19:24:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 18:59 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 11:44:03 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > > The path of the directory/bundle is passed to instantiate(). This is
> > > neccessary to make it actually useful. It could have been passed to other
> > > methods, but that seemed most appropriate.
> >
> > "The BundlePath parameter is a string of the path to the plugin's
> > .ladspa2 bundle directory, it SHOULD not include the trailing /."
> >
> > Might as well s/SHOULD/MUST/ so the plugin doesn't have to deal with it.
> > If it's just SHOULD there's not much point in wasting space mentioning
> > it.
>
> Perhaps, well it's not critical, appending /filename will always work
> under Linux, its just a bit untidy. I used SHOULD incase the host has some
> trouble removing it for some reason, but I can think why it would have.
> So yes, MUST would be OK by me.

Yeah, anything that lessens what plugins have to deal with is the Right
Thing.

> > Just an initial thought: how about adding a similar parameter for a
> > host-provided-things directory?  This in combination with the
> > HostFeatures would allow a host to provide almost anything to plugins,
> > like a realtime memory allocator lib, some kind of shared memory scheme
> > for a GUI extension, etc. etc.  Much more extensible without having to
> > break the ABI.  Thoughts?
>
> Hmmm... providing a lib that way is a bit late, setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
> more convienient. Given that we dont have anything to put there currently
> I don't feel really motivated.

So things like this could be provided just by setting a HostFeatures
flag that implies a certain library is linked and available for use?
That works.

(I'm not particularly attached to the idea either way, just a thought.
It allows the host to provide things to the plugin in general which
could be a good thing considering the change is so minimal).

-DR-