[linux-audio-dev] ladspa2 and bundles

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 25 09:07:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:44:03PM -0400, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> I like the bundle idea.  What are the reasons to not use it?  Reasons to use it include ease of distribution (especially on other platforms like osx).
>
> I think bundles are a great idea that should be adopted by other unixen.
>
> Or, can we make it so that bundles are a possible method of distribution and either it or the typical installation into various directories could be used?

I'd like to see LADSPA 2.0 plugins always being directories, wether we go
for bundles or not. It gives the plugin somewhere to stash its auxilarry
data (precompiled tables etc.), which otherwise is a bit of a pain.

It's possible to retrofit bundles to 2.x by reserving the lib/ directory
inside the plugin directory for future use in 2.0.

zeroinstall, http://0install.net/ uses something similar to bundles at it
works well on linux.

- Steve