[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 26 16:55:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 05:48:32PM +0100, tom christie wrote:
> > That's somewhat like saying a corrupt binary
> > should never cause a segfault...
> No, not at all.
> The data file is accessed as an input stream (to the host / LADSPA library).
> It's fine for a bad data file to cause the library to fail to be able
> to load it, or to load it and produce unexpected output, but it should
> *never* cause it to segfault.

the only situation it can cause a segfault is where its mangled in a
somehow still structurally and syntaxically correct way (too unlikly to be
worth considering) or if the host pushes on without enough information.

The point I was making is that you will get segfaults if you try to us the
struct without the data, even if you know the version number, so dont.

> All I'm saying is that if the discovery function may potentially
> return differing structs from one LADSPA version to another, then it
> ought also provide a mechanism of determining exactly which struct it
> is returning.

Sure, but its easier to version the struct in the data.

- Steve