[linux-audio-dev] Re: "LADSPA 2" name

Taybin Rutkin taybin at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 27 03:37:50 UTC 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 4:30 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> I don't agree about taking away the "L". Ladspa is not linux-
> specific, but it has certainly originated from linux, and has the
> best support in linux software.  If linux dissapears before the
> ladspa format, we can at least still remember linux through the
> name of ladspa...

It might be a little too early to plan for linux's departure from the
computing scene.  Besides, if ladspa is still around after linux has
left the building, that just shows it shouldn't have been in the name.

> Regarding your argumentation about the prononounciation, I think
> its a bit
> anglocentric language-vice. In most other countries (scandinavian,
> german, spanish, belgian, dutch, slavic (I might be wrong about
> some of these though)), where the "a" is actually pronounced like
> the round "ah" (and very short in this case), and you don't have to
> move the mouth that much as in english (and especially in american
> english), "ladspa" sounds really cool and is not very difficult to
> say. A good solution to this problem would be if the english
> speakers started to allways say the more common rounder "ah"
> instead of "a", not only for ladspa, but for all acronyms.

I don't think that changing the english rules of pronunciation is a
good solution.

"no no, it's pronounced 'lad-spah'."
"why?"
"it sounds cooler with a european accent"

Taybin