[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA2: logarithmic hint

Sean Bolton musound at jps.net
Thu Apr 27 15:39:06 UTC 2006

On Apr 27, 2006, at 3:12 AM, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 05:13:24 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 09:45 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
>>> http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa2/
>>>
>>> Removed the :logarithmic hint, I agree with Paul, its not
>>> fit-for-purpose as specified.
>>
>> er, I need logarithmic.  if it's not fit-for-purpose as specified then
>> we can specify it differently.  it's in ladspa 1 :)
>
> Yeah, but given that it doesn't work, I think its reasonable to remove
> it.
>
> We replace it with something that does work the moment after "LADSPA2"
> is
> finalised.

Okay, Steve, I trust you have something ready to go that you feel will
replace it, but I'm still worried.  The discussion you and Paul had on
this list sounded to me like you were both conflating the need for
scaling a linear range (widget or MIDI CC) to an exponential one
(e.g. frequency port), with the need to provide unit labels for port
values (e.g. "dBFS").  The two are independent, and I agree with
Dave that the log scaling hint is essential.  It does work when bounds
are sensibly specified (i.e. don't include zero), and needs to be
extended -- not dropped -- to handle the other common cases people
try to (ab)use it for.

If we're going to replace it "the moment after 'LADSPA2' is finalised",
then we'd better be sure the replacement is ready to go.  Can you
tell us more, please?

-Sean