[linux-audio-dev] LV2 draft spec update

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 9 09:07:30 UTC 2006

http://lv2plug.in/spec/

Some more work has been done recently, but I think I forgot to tell this
mailing list.

The most notable change is the inclusion of a port hint to indiciate that
connections to that port are optional. This has never been a part of
LADSPA, though it was discussed. It's included because it makes it
possible to have plugin that can use certain port type extension, but dont
require them. Eg. a plugin that can use MIDI data, but doesn't require it.
If the plugin marks the MIDI port as lv2:optionalConnection then hosts can
tell by inspection that it can still load and use the plugin, even if it
doesn't support/want to use the MIDI extension.

The LV2 spec is approaching finalisation now. We have two independent host
impletmentions, and several that share some code, there are lots of
plugins, some using extensions and some using vanialla LV2. If people want
to comment opn the late drafts now would be a good time, as I imagine that
the final spec will look a lot like whats there unless people find
problems.

- Steve