[linux-audio-dev] Linux kernel HZ, audio latency and how to measure?

Mulyadi Santosa a_mulyadi at telkom.net
Fri Aug 18 16:10:57 UTC 2006

Hello everyone....

I am kinda interested to study the effect of changing kernel HZ
(internal timer frequency) and the audio processing. Since I am a
newbie in Linux Audio, I will be glad to receive any comments,
especially the constructive ones.

Is there any relationship between kernel HZ and audio timing? I imagine
that something like audio recording from a Hi Fi will get a benefit
from a finer granularity timer frequency, since it can achieve 1ms (or
even smaller) resolution. But, if there is relationship between those
two, then how to measure it? Do I need to check every delay function
and record the requested delay vs the actual delay? Or is there other
method?

I already searched the archieve looking for the similar question, but I
found none.

Thank you in advance your help and attention.

regards,

Mulyadi