[linux-audio-dev] kernel 2.6.18, -19 etc

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Fri Dec 15 20:24:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 22:00 +0200, Jussi Laako wrote:
> Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > Now that mingo's (et al) RT patches are coming into mainstream, what is
> > the corporate rationale behind it and the running order of urgency?
> >
> > I am fishing for some information on; if it is the disk-drives, the
> > network drivers, the usb stack or something else that I am too ignorant
> > to have noticed?
> >
> > What worries me the most, is corner-cases on network, blocking multiple
> > cpu's.
>
> Isn't the functionality conditional and selected at configure time? I
> wouldn't be too worried about it. It also forces broken drivers to be
> fixed which is only a good thing. This is a bit similar to the situation
> when kernel pre-emption was introduced.

Yes, but the pathces are introduced and applied a bit at the time for
each official kernel version. At 2.6.19 we can read mingo's own comment
over at slashdot that 'now 50% has gone in'. Friend of order would like
to what half of which is accepted and why.

Kernel conf is hard enough without knowing what to look for, really!