[linux-audio-dev] plugin loaders

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Dec 21 08:40:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 09:11:06 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> > 2. We build binaries for the lowest common denominator, so the plugins
> > you'll find in Fedora, for instance, don't take advantage of SSE
> > hardware or instruction scheduling for different processors.  This can
> > make a huge difference.  What would be nice is if we could distribute an
> > RPM containing a plurality of plugin builds, and then have the
> > application load the plugin matching the capabilities the execution
> > platform.
>
> that's hard. but then again .... seems like its the job of a package
> manager to identify the correct build to install on processor foo,
> right?

Perhaps, perhaps not. LV2 has the potential to make that easier, as
plugins are in directories, which can have multiple .so files, and they
can be annotated so the host can pick out the right one. They could even
be cross platform that way.

c.f. http://lv2plug.in/ - though the full docs for the directory format are
not yet uploaded.

- Steve