[linux-audio-dev] Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Feb 21 15:55:49 UTC 2006

Tuesday 21 Feb 2006 15:30, David Kastrup wrote:
> Following your kind of logic, people caring for peace on Earth are
> damaging the livelihoods of weapon producers, decent people mostly,
> and that merely for their selfish desire of a world worth living in.

*sigh*

We're not talking about weapons.  We're talking specifically about
interesting and constructive pieces of music software.  I believe that
the existence of FL Studio and software like it enhances the world.
You might argue that it would be better if written or distributed in a
different way, but if you're arguing that this software would be better
not existing at all -- as you might do of weapons -- then we have no
common basis for this discussion.

Write free music software if you wish to.  I do.  But if you're only
doing it because you're sour about someone else's work, then you're not
doing a good thing; don't delude yourself that you are.

> If their livelihoods get tougher because of a world where work is
> shared and exchanged between consenting and cooperating humans, so
> much the better.

Read that again, and tell me whether it really says what you meant.

Chris