[linux-audio-dev] VST compiled for linux / gui message loop

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Sat Jan 7 12:23:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:58:49AM +0100, jorgen wrote:
> Hi, Im coding a VST host for windows and linux. The linux version will
> support VSTs compiled on linux and not using wine or aything. Of course,
> there is not alot of native linux VST plugins around but that will
> change (I already made one :P )

:) cool welcome abord. so you ported vstGUI ?
how will that work ?
does a vst plugin coder only recompile his plug then ?

> There is one challange though, event dispatching in X11. Unlike windows,
> X11 windows doesnt have an assotiated window proc for dispatching
> events. I can overcome this in my own gui toolkit by passing a Display*
> pointer to the plugin etc, but it wouldnt work with other gui toolkits.
>
> So how do I make a soution that work with any toolkits on linux?

we are still searching for a solution with a window generated in the
same process. with different toolkits etc.

to my knowledge
this has not really been solved. believe me, there would be a much nicer
standard than dssi already.

> 1) the plugin calls its own event loop in effEditIdle
> 2) make a new atom "wndproc" for storing wndproc function per window,
> the host will send XEvents to the wndproc if found.
>
> I prefer 1) but I dont know if toolkits supports manually calling the
> event loop?

i am not sure i understand what you want to do but.....

for gtk see:

http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/gtk/gtk-General.html#gtk-main-iteration-do

for qt start along here:

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/qeventloop.html#processEvents