[linux-audio-dev] timemachine auto recorder patch

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 14 20:56:43 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 12:41:33 -0700, Garett Shulman wrote:
> Hello, I have created a patch that allows timeachine to automatically
> start and stop recording based on the audio signal. Recording will start
> when a sample value exceeds a start threashold. Recording stops when
> sample values remain below a stop threashold for a period of time.

Nice.

> However if I try to start timemachine backgrounded it just seems to exit
> and brings jack down with it. If I run it in the foreground and try to
> killall timemachine it does not exit gracefully but brings jack down as
> well. In either case I see output from jack like:
>
> subgraph starting at time timed out (subgraph_wait_fd = 7, status = 0,
> state = Triggered)
> jackd watchdog: timeout - killed jack
> [1]+ Killed      timemachine

Try adding an atexit(3) handler that exits from the jack graph.
Timemachine should not be able to bring down jack, so that is probably a
bug in jack, though it might well be triggered by a bug in timemachine.

I can't think of any reasons why timemachine might not like being
backgrounded offhand.

> +/* garetts mod here */

You might want to stop this, the ChangeLog + CVS stuff can represent
this in a more programmer friendly way. I everyone did that youd never
be able to read the code ;)

- Steve