[linux-audio-dev] A sequencer example

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 17 19:21:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-15-01 at 14:23 +0100, mlang wrote:
> Chris Cannam <cannam at all-day-breakfast.com> writes:
>
> > On Sunday 15 Jan 2006 11:12, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> >> If you want to use alsa_seq's queues to schedule events for delivery
> >> at a later time, you probably might have a look at rosegarden.
> >
> > There's a file base/test/seq/generator.c in the Rosegarden source tree
> > that does basically what was described using the sequencer queue.  It
> > does however schedule in real-time rather than beats (and so does
> > Rosegarden itself).
> >
> > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/rosegarden/base/test/seq/generator.c?view=markup
>
> Pretty intersting, I just ran this and noticed it (the diff between
> queue and gettimeofday time) drifts about 70 usecs per second.  Is this
> normal expected behaviour, or another reason to hate the day I decided to buy
> a X2 CPU?
>
> P.S.: ANyone got any hard facts on the TSC SMP issues?  2.6.15
> is definitely worse for me than 2.6.14, things that used to work just dont anymore.

I just bought a shiny new X2 3800+ and am dealing with all this garbage
as well.   Extremely unimpressed with the whole situation in general,
but anyway....

Right now I'm booting my kernel with clock=pmtmr and I've applied the
attached patch to Jack and things seem to be working fine, at least
superficially.

-DR-

P.S.  Someone (who I forget) was having problems with Om and every
action taking _seconds_ to produce a visible/audible response.  This was
the source of that problem, for the record.