[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] ninjam with jack support...

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Wed Jan 18 17:15:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 02:40:14AM -0500, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> On 1/12/06, Shayne O'Connor <forums at machinehasnoagenda.com> wrote:
>
> > coolness ... i remember email exchanges with jp mercury (freewheelin)
> > where we dreamed of just this sort of thing ...
>
> Yeah, integrating this with some collaborative loop
> management/sequencing and we'll really have something.  Who's
> interested?  Not sure if the current ninjam codebase could (or should)
> support this.  But after ninjamming for 2 hours tonight, i'm sold on
> the concept.

i cant do much developing currently
(need to get rid of this ninjam addiction :)

my plans for ninjam are currently to add some code to make it sync to
jack_transport.

while this looks trivial, its not really trivial, because jack_transport
must sync to ninjam transport.
and making ninjam the transport master will render ardour pretty
useless.

i will however make this fly soon.

so how shall we proceed ?
the problem is that the ninjam server must run on a machine with some
moderate upload bandwidth, which i dont have.
so if we want to change/implement another ninjam server we have to make
sure we got a testing environment...

i am tempted to write a gtk client for ninjam, because i consider this
ncurses code quite unmaintainable...
we also need a tool, which converts the recorded session to something we
can actually edit on linux.

converting it to an ardour session looks like the way to go for me...
ok guys... lets try to get on with this...

it such a cool idea...

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language