[linux-audio-dev] pthread_mutex_unlock

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu Jan 26 00:33:09 UTC 2006

One Harold Chu on LKML is insisting that POSIX requires
pthread_mutex_unlock to reschedule if other threads are waiting on the
mutex, and that even if the calling thread immediately tries to lock the
mutex again another thread must get it.  I contend that both of these
assertions are wrong - first, I just don't read the standard that way,
and second, it would lead to obviously incorrect behavior - unlocking a
mutex would no longer be an RT safe operation.  What would be the point
of trylock() in RT code if unlocking is going to cause a reschedule
anyway?

Can anyone back me up on this?

Lee