[linux-audio-dev] little question regarding Ardour

Lars Luthman larsl at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 26 17:16:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 17:05 +0000, zen95156 at zen.co.uk wrote:
> Checking the session folder, Ardour appears to record to disc as it's going
> along (on-the-fly). I presume Ardour can also route the incoming sound to
> its outputs, for monitoring. Does anyone know what mechanism Ardour uses
> to do this?
> (I'll walk blindly into speculation. Ardour uses a jack ringbuffer on its Jack
> input port, in the approved way - but that only leaves one read on the
> ringbuffer output...)

A ringbuffer is only needed if you need to transport the data from the
JACK thread to another thread (like when you record incoming data to
disc). If you want to route the sound to a JACK output the data never
has to leave the JACK thread, it can be processed and copied directly to
the output buffer - so there's nothing stopping you from copying the
incoming data from the JACK input buffer to a ringbuffer _and_ to
another JACK output buffer.

(That being said I don't know anything about the internals of Ardour)

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php