[linux-audio-dev] xt2 coming to linux

Richard Spindler richard.spindler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 19:43:52 UTC 2006

2006/1/27, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com>:
> It's frustrating that most audio application writers STILL consider OSS
> a sane default, it just waste's everyone's time (see also Skype).  OSS
> has been deprecated for years...

Well, honestly I have to admit that I'm guilty of that too. why?

Because of portaudio, it's propably on of the most convinient ways
to use an audio API. And unfortunatly it only provides OSS in Version
18, which is what I use. I took a peek into v19, that has ALSA Support,
but it became just too complex.

The only alternative would be jack, but since I'm only doing simple
applications, I don't need to run jack, and I do not expect my users to do
so either.

Writing against the native ALSA API is a pain, because it requires much
more low level stuff, that I don't really care for. And on top of that it'd also
require me to setup my own thread for the callback mechanism.

I guess I'm just to lazy. ;)

-Richard