[linux-audio-dev] fst, VST 2.0, kontakt

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Jul 1 16:53:21 UTC 2006

Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 17:43 +0200, Luis Garrido wrote:
>>> LinuxSampler is not free software or open source software.
>>>
>> (sigh, must we, really?)
>>
>> It depends on who you choose to side with.
>
> Forget "free software" then, I don't mean to start any debate, and
> there's no "sides" here.  Just that people are talking about writing
> open source alternatives to things (Kontakt) and referring to
> LinuxSampler as the project to do so, so it should be pointed out so
> people aren't misled.
>
> LinuxSampler is not open source.

It's veeeery close though.

It's just using a modified GPL License which isn't clearly labelled as
such. IANAL but that makes LinuxSampler illegally licensed if someone
wanted to make a fuss about it. They call it GPL version 2 or 3 but it
has been modified so that nullifies it AFAIK. If they don't fix it and
someone does use their software to make a financial gain then it could
very easily be argued that the software is licensed as GPL 2 or 3 and
that makes it 100% open source.

It's good to know that the core team are reviewing the current license
as it would no doubt be messy for them to get caught short.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com