[linux-audio-dev] fst, VST 2.0, kontakt

Marc-Olivier Barre mobarre at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 09:27:16 UTC 2006

Hi all,

> Problem with linuxsampler license void its all about that infamous
> exception clause on the README file, "that it may NOT be used in
> COMMERCIAL software or hardware products without prior written
> authorization by the authors."

I find this thread very interesting, and I'd like to add a real life
situation to it since we also seem to have linuxsampler devs following
this.

I play in band called Kinoko en Orbite. I'll spare you with the
translation/explaination, it's not the point.

My home studio is built with
free/opensource/GPLed/whatever-you-call-it software and I intend to
use my studio to make a record for my band. I also plan to actually
use a lot of these same softwares on stage. In other words, I intend
to make a commercial usage of linuxsampler since we'll get money in
exchange of these CDs (through it will alo be available on
jamendo.org), and we intend to make people pay for these concerts.

Can I use linuxsampler for this purpose since according to the license
I need to ask ?

Could the situation be clarified at least for musicians like me who do
not intend to build hardware, but who want to earn a living playing
music with your software ?

My live sessions in Paris are starting soon, and I plan to spend my
summer recording with my band. This is something I need to know.