[linux-audio-dev] IR FFT smoothing

Denis Sbragion d.sbragion at infotecna.it
Mon Jul 3 07:07:55 UTC 2006

Hello Andrew,

On Sun, July 2, 2006 16:57, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> way for SPL-observing rather FFT+smoothing. Is it so (I don't mean RT-apps)?

usually, yes. AFAIK there's no transform that really mimimcs our perception,
i.e. which provides a visual representation similar enough to the auditory
perception. Take also a look at the Stockwell transform, which is a somewhat
balanced compromise between the properties of the FFT and the properties of
the wavelet transform.

> IIRC DRC can produce such plots if you ask it nicely.

BTW frequency dependent windowing and standard fractional octave smoothing
aren't completely equivalent. There's instead a proven equivalence between
frequency dependent windowing and *complex* smoothing. See the Mourjopoulos
papers for further details.

Bye,

--
	Denis Sbragion