LinuxSampler license, was Re: [linux-audio-dev] fst, VST 2.0, kontakt

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jul 3 12:33:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 02:26 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> If they really want to get people to give money then they should just
> make it so that you have to pay or contribute code/time for a while to
> get access to the newest downloads from their site. Keep the stable
> version far enough behind the development version that people will pay
> to get the newest code base.

its really rather amusing to see people speculating on what the
developers of LS could or could not do, when the actual relevant
"encounter" with "commercial interests" has *already* happened. it did
not go well. it can be tempting to imagine that we understand the
motivations of commercial organizations and can therefore offer them
appropriate carrots. don't be so confident of this. both the LS
developers and myself are under the terms of an NDA, so it is not
possible to discuss with any relevant detail precisely what happened.
but it was nasty, it was unpleasant and as i've said before, it would be
better for people to not make so many assumptions about their ability to
guess at what might or might happen when a commercial company shows
interest in a tool like LS.

--p