[linux-audio-dev] Re: Trying to build Om,

Stephen Cameron smcameron at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 6 03:41:49 UTC 2006

--- Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:

> > libgnomecanvasmm,
> > > >
> > http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/MIRRORS/ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libgnomecanvasmm/2.6/
> >
> > Nevermind, I found binary RPMs that seem to work.
> > Sorry about making this noise on the list.
> >
> > -- steve
> >

> Hearing some noise about anyone trying to use smack/om is a good thing

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Sourceforge reports over 1000 downloads of
my gneutronica, but I have about 2 people I know of who I know have actually
attempted to use it.  I find myself wondering if the other 998 are just
robots that download whatever appears on sourceforge.  I have gotten zero
contributions in terms of code or even bug reports... on the bright side,
I've had to deal with zero bug reports, or patches that don't work or are
otherwise insane, LOL.

Well, I can hardly complain about lack of code contributions.  Before
I started this, I looked instead to try to make Hydrogen do what I wanted,
but there was so much code, and it was so incomprehensible and foreign
to me, it was easier to just write my own, and, doing that allowed me to
learn as I went, at my own pace, so it has been satisfying, even if I am
the only real user of my program.

> ;) I am sorry about the some what limited smack docs.... If you have
> any probs feel free to ask. If you find any solutions feel free to put
> them on the smack or om wiki ;)

Actually, the binary rpms I found didn't work out after all.
They allowed me to build everything, but...

I tried to start om_gtk... First it complained about not being able to find
libgnomecanvasmm.2.6.so.1, so, try (in /usr/lib)

ln -s libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1.0.1 libgnomecanvasmm-2.6.so.1

Now, it complains...

[scameron at zuul ~]$ om_gtk
[StateManager] Unable to open settings file /home/scameron/.omgtkrc
(om_gtk:2173): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `focus_on_map' for class `gtkmm__GtkWindow'
(om_gtk:2173): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `ellipsize' for class `gtkmm__GtkLabel'
(om_gtk:2173): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `width_chars' for class `gtkmm__GtkLabel'
(om_gtk:2173): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `single_line_mode' for class
`gtkmm__GtkLabel'
(om_gtk:2173): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `angle' for class `gtkmm__GtkLabel'
(om_gtk:2173): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `ellipsize' for class `gtkmm__GtkLabel'

And finally, it dies with a bunch of crap like this:

** (om_gtk:2173): CRITICAL **: Gnome::Glade::Xml::get_widget(): dynamic_cast<> failed.

So I guess I don't yet have the right libgnomecanvasmm,
or libglade*so* or something for Fedora Core 3...

Ah, well, it's all part of this great, very intellectual
video game I've been playing for the last year called
"Linux Audio Adventure."

-- steve