[linux-audio-dev] IR FFT smoothing

Andrew Gaydenko a at gaydenko.com
Thu Jul 6 12:03:24 UTC 2006

======= On Thursday 06 July 2006 11:19, Denis Sbragion wrote: =======
Hello Andrew,

this looks pretty much like the classical "running average" smoothing, which
is one of the standard methods used to perform fractional octave smoothing.
For most purposes this is pretty good. BTW there's one thing that is unclear
to me:

>                 if(idx < 0): idx = 0 # to avoid edge effect
>                     sum += x[idx]

Here x[idx] is a complex value or a real one (i.e. magnitude only)? If it's a
real one you're doing the standard fractional octave smoothing, if it is a
complex one you're doing something pretty close to complex smoothing.

Looking at the results it should be a real value, else there should be the
typical phase cancellation problems of the complex smoothing procedure. There
are some way to overcome these problems. I have a paper where smothing is
performed separately on the magnitude and phase of the response. The results
are really good in this situation, as long as you are able to compute the
continuous (unwrapped) phase function, which is a challenging task by itself.

Bye,

--
	Denis Sbragion
	InfoTecna

Denis,

x[n] is real (abs() of the FFT result). It is interesting, I still have not found any
article about fractional octave smoothing. All googling results lead to cited AES article.
So, applied smoothing is as an "invention" for me :-)

Is your paper about smoothing free?

Andrew