[linux-audio-dev] Re: LinuxSampler license

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sat Jul 8 17:55:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 19:02 +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> In gimp list, I mentioned that I don't want my software to be
> used in Windows. That would encourage people to install Linux.
> My plan was to use GPL + Windows exclusion. I was very clearly
> informed that it would not work.
>
> Then why similar works for Linuxsampler?
>
> BTW, I'm still puzzled on what kind of license I should use.

I don't wish for people to use my software in Windows either, but I
persnally don't think that is an acceptable license restriction (and
definitely would make your program neither Free Software or Open
Source).  The point of Free/Open Source software is the user's right to
use the program as they wish, and (unfortunately?) that includes running
it on whatever OS they please.

In practise, unless your software is inherently portable to Windows (eg
Java etc) unless you actually do a port normal users aren't going to end
up using it anyway.

A copyright license doesn't really apply to this sort of situation
anyway, you'd have to create a heavy-handed MS-style evil EULA that
tells people what they are allowed to do with software.  Noble
intentions, but isn't that the kind of thing we're trying to /prevent/?

-DR-