[linux-audio-dev] realtimeness: pthread_cond_signal vs. pipe write

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi
Thu Jul 13 18:15:14 UTC 2006

Dave Robillard wrote:
> Sorry, I /was/ referring to sem_post/sem_wait/etc.  I mean havn't tried

OK :)

> Benchmarking message queues against pipes would be interesting, maybe
> Jack could benefit if they're faster?

I did some benchmarking between unix (local) sockets and message queues
and found speed (roundtrip) to be over twice as fast when using message
queues.

In test, process A sends message "Yoohoo" to process B and process B
replies "2U2" back. This is counted as a message exchange in the result.

On my P4/3000 I get this kind of number:
105193.5 messages / second

Nice feature of message queues is that you can get signal-style delivery
using mq_notify(3).

	- Jussi