[linux-audio-dev] diskstream and jack

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jul 14 12:15:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 13:27 +0200, conrad berhörster wrote:
> Hello maarten and dmitry and the rest,
>
> thanks for the quick answers.
> Faster means, that the workerthread is called more often than the jackthread

no, the workerthread should *not* be called more often than the
jackthread. either the same frequency or slower. it should typically end
up processing more data than the jack thread does per call.

> and that the workerthread can possible fill more data then jack will need.
> So i try the semaphore wake thing . first i must read about semophores. never

from experiments done in about 2000, if you must absolutely avoid
situations where one thread outruns the other, linux tends to need about
a 5 second buffer if the worker thread is not running realtime (which it
probably should not do). it also seemed that we got the most efficient
disk i/o rates when writing chunks of about 256kB to disk rather than
larger or smaller bits.