[linux-audio-dev] MIDI... know how to do bank/patch changes on yamaha Motif Rack?

Stephen Cameron smcameron at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 16 19:14:45 UTC 2006

So, I've got a yamaha motif rack, and the manual
(which is here, btw:
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/MOTIFRACKE2.pdf )

On P. 46 of that manual describes how, and it seems like it should
be brain dead simple.  There's a basic recieve channel on the
Motif Rack, (it claims that it is set to "1" -- I don't know if
that is zero or one based, so I tried both.

I think, if I send a byte sequence like:

0xb1 0xf3 0x03 0xc1 0x07

(or maybe substitute 0 for any 1 in the above, I tried them all)

It ought to do something.

I *can* change patches within a bank, that is the
Sending 0xc0 0x25 will change the current preset.

Just can't figure out the bank change thing.  Well,
I'm retarded, or the spec is wrong, or the motif is broken...

I think I must be retarded.

At the moment, I've reduced things to a few lines of C
that just open up /dev/snd/midiC1D0 and write some
bytes out -- I know that much works because note-on and
patch change work.

Just wondering if anybody else out there has a Motif and
if they've ever gotten it to change banks.

-- steve