[linux-audio-dev] MIDI... know how to do bank/patch changes on yamaha Motif Rack?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Jul 17 08:00:44 UTC 2006

Stephen Cameron wrote:
> The manual fails to mention what the Bank Change message is
> (probably because it is "standard MIDI stuff.")  It is 0xB0
> (or 0xBn, where n is the channel the device receives basic
> messages on.)

Bx is the Control Change command.  The two halves of the bank number are
just two controllers, 0 and 32.

> It requires TWO bank select commands to select a bank.  One
> to set the MSB, and one to set the LSB.  You can't set them
> both with one command (which is what I was trying to do that
> didn't work.)

You can omit the command byte (called "status" in MIDI) when it is
identical to the last one, so you could use

B0 00 msb 20 lsb

This feature is called "running status".

> 0xB0 0x00 0xf3  // 0xB0 0x00 means "set bank MSB"  0xf3 is the
>                 // value to set it to.

This is not a valid MIDI command.  The highest bit of each byte is used
to differentitate between command and data bytes, so data bytes must be
no greater than 127 (0x7f).

The manual should document somewhere what the MSB value for this bank
is, but it's certainly not F3.

To learn more about MIDI, have a look (or more than one) at
<http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/>.

HTH
Clemens