[linux-audio-dev] Re: Language fanboys [was Re: light C++ set for WAV]

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 19:32:08 UTC 2006

> What is important however is that the latency is constant, jitter
> is quite obvious.

Makes sense, how often is jitter in that regards a problem and if it is
a decent amount of time, what might be done to help with that problem?

> MIDI latency is typically
> 1ms or so, and that's generally not a issue.

Yea a ms or less definitely wouldn't be a problem for what I am thinking
of.  I tend to think slightly higher might not be a problem either, but
I was worried it might get over, say 3 mS which I think might cause a
problem.  This is overall between GUI and communication.

> Getting lower than that in
> a UI + OSC connection is no problem.

That is good to know and exactly answers my question I think, thanks.

> In any case, it's not a good idea to run GUI theads at high priority as
> they often have to do actions which require a significant ammount of
> wall-clock time.

Again thanks for the information.

> If your thinking of using a UDPish protocol, please use OSC.

Was definitely considering it.  I suppose my question there might be,
while I don't have intentions for it currently, I don't want to rule out
the possibility of the FE running on a separate machine, and I would be
worried about packet loss with UDP over a network or possibly wireless
connection (Not looking for wireless for show conditions, more for say
in a theater show when I might be setting cue levels by running a FE on
my PDA).  But yes OSC is definitely looking like a good possibility.  Of
course I haven't looked to see if there is an OSC lib for my PDA much
less most PDAs;)

         Seablade