[linux-audio-dev] Re: Language fanboys [was Re: light C++ set for WAV]

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Sun Jul 23 08:27:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 11:52 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:

> Yay! i want my whole app to communicate between engine and gui via
> midi! That's going to really be interesting... So what CC would i use
> for add a new node named "node"? Sysex i guess? ....

CC 0x06 (Data Entry) would be a good candidate for entering text,
possibly with 0x96, 0x97 (data increment, decrement) to be used as a
cursor.

The backend will "know" that you are setting the text field of a node
because you immediately before have send a Non-Registered Pararameter
Number (CC 0x98 MSB, 0x99 LSB), setting the mode or destination to
whatever you have found reasonable to represent "node-name".

Problems: Attempts at midi-merge may fail. The data-entry slider cannot
be connected to two separate destinations simultaniously in any
meaningful way, other than that the last connection wins and all of the
data goes there.