[linux-audio-dev] Re: Language fanboys [was Re: light C++ set for WAV]

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Tue Jul 25 00:18:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 13:59 -0700, lazzaro wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2006, at 1:39 PM, linux-audio-dev-
> request at music.columbia.edu wrote:
>
> > what about applying the journal data to an OSC-over-UDP stream. the
> > journal data could be encapsulated in OSC. sounds like a paper and
> > liblo patch waiting to happen ;)
>

> Personally, my suggestion is that the community starts by
> defining OSC profiles for specific classes of gestural input
> and synthesis methods that are widely used in the community.
> These profiles should standardize syntax and semantics.  If
> you are working on a music project that is doing something
> that fits a profile, use the profile.  Otherwise, do as you do today.
>
> If OSC goes down this route, one can imagine developing a
> recovery-journal system with recovery semantics for all the
> standard profiles.  Part of developing a new OSC profile would
> be defining the recovery journal for the profile.
>
> The least of the benefits of a design like this would be
> network resiliency. The big win is by defining OSC profiles
> with semantics, it starts to make sense to create a hardware
> or software synth that "understands OSC profile X" out of
> the box, in the same way a synth understands MIDI.  And
> you can also create mass-market controller hardware that
> "puts out OSC data using profile X".  And so, you can
> connect the two boxes up and get plug and play -- just
> like MIDI.

But you don't "just get plug and play" with MIDI.  It's all about
learning with MIDI.

At the very least with OSC you need to have a (dynamically changeable)
path prefix for everything (eg such a defined "profile" would definitely
have to allow for an undefined prefix portion), so no matter how you
slice it you end up needing some sort of "learn"-ish system anyway.  So
even with such profiles the real problem to be solved is still service
discovery and namespace enumeration (eg back to square one).

-DR-