[linux-audio-dev] Re: Language fanboys [was Re: light C++ set for WAV]

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Tue Jul 25 19:54:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 11:38 -0700, lazzaro wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Dave Robillard
> <drobilla at connect.carleton.ca> wrote:
>
> > But you don't "just get plug and play" with MIDI.  It's all about
> > learning with MIDI.
>

> "Common things should be easy, and unusual things
> should be possible".  The common things in MIDI are
> plug-and-play. Only the "unusual things" are "all about
> learning".
>
> NoteOn and NoteOff, sustain pedal, volume control,
> stereo pan, pitch-bend, mod-wheel ... these are all
> plug-and-play, and have been since the earliest days of MIDI.
>
> Manufacturers who make controllers know to send out these
> commands in a stylized way, and sound designers who write
> patches for synths (soft and hard) know to make their synths
> respond in an appropriate way to these controllers.  And for
> a lot musicians, this is enough for them to do what they want
> to do.  This is the MIDI world Garageband lives in, for example,
> and the biggest problem Apple has with Garageband is that
> it is an entry-level program that makes most of its users so happy
> that they aren't interested in upgrading to semi-pro software.

True.

I'm sure we'll have a note standard for OSC as soon as there's a need
for one, but (unfortunately) right now there isn't.  There aren't really
any devices/apps to send those notes anyway (though a few things I'm
working on ATM will likely require one).

You still need the service discovery etc. to get that prefix path though
(which is basically the vastly superior OSC equivalent to MIDI's
channels) - it's a bit more complicated than MIDI by nature, but not
terribly so.

-DR-