[linux-audio-dev] light C++ set for WAV

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Wed Jul 26 11:02:31 UTC 2006

Chris Cannam wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 Jul 2006 11:12, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
> > Well, it is very thin though. Which is not a bad thing at all. One could
> > make ue of an arbitrary amount of more advanced C++ features if desired
> > though (i.e. templates parametrized with the type you want to read for
> > example, or operator<< and operator>> for reading and writing, etc.)
>
> operator<< and >>... ugh.

Yeah I really gotta agree here. Overloading the left and right
shift operators has got to the thing I find most distasteful
about C++.

> I think if your class is named LikeThis, then your method should be named
> likeThat (Java-style).  If your method is named like_this, then your class
> should be named like_that (STL-style).  Either is fine, but don't mix your
> dialects.

Ok, "don't mix dialects" is a good tip. Most of the proposed methods
for the Sndfile class have single word names so Java style might be
the best option.

> Mmm.  For what it's worth, I write mostly C++ but have no problem
> with using the libsndfile C API.

Most people who really know C++ know enough to be comfortable
with pure C. I'm pretty sure you fall into this category.

However, I do get emails from some of the more clueless Windiots
complaining that libsndfile is written in old-fashioned C instead
of nice shiny modern C++. IMNSHO these people should not be allowed
anywhere near a language as complex, subtle, and unforgiving as
C++ (or for that matter as unforgiving as C).

Erik