[linux-audio-dev] Re: Akai's MPC4000 Sampler/Workstation Open Source Project

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Thu Jul 27 19:16:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:46:27PM +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:

> >that sucks. that really does. because my linux systems have the same
> >rock steady timing as the MPC. actually, their timing is even better
> >than the MPC. somebody must have made a mistake around here.
>
> i assure you, linux performs on par with "other public-domain RTOSes"
> in the real-time department, in the right hands .. like all good
> instruments ..

Let me add one more voice. At my (current) work we develop space
telecom equipment, all of it these days consisting of one or more
dedicated interface cards plugged into a Linux PC. All processing
is done in software. Sample frequencies are up to a few MHz, and
latency requirements more demanding than for any audio work.

Five years ago we used RTAI for the critical work. It was a lot
of pain. Since then everything runs on standard Linux kernels
optimised a bit for real-time. These days that means it's just
a stock 2.6 kernel compiled with the right configuration.

--
FA

Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.