[linux-audio-dev] Re: Akai's MPC4000 Sampler/Workstation Open Source Project

Renich Bon Ćirić renich at woralelandia.com
Fri Jul 28 18:29:42 UTC 2006

Loki Davison wrote:
> On 7/28/06, Renich Bon Ćirić <renich at woralelandia.com> wrote:
>>

>> Gene Heskett wrote:

>> have

>> same
>> better

>> RTOSes"

>> > Finally, a question is raised that I can make a comment on, based
>> on 55
>> > years of chasing electrons around for a living.  Yeah, I'm getting
>> to be a
>> > chrotchety old coot in my retirement years. :)

>> > After spending about half an hour perusing that pdf, I can, as a
>> C.E.T.
>> who
>> > has carved some code in a past life, say that the answer is a rather
>> > resounding no.  There is nowhere near enough there, without
>> chaseing each
>> > and every chip maker down and somehow acquiring all the interface
>> > requirements.  Properly specified, like we used to be able to get chip
>> > info back in the 80's, I'd imagine that pdf would have to grow another
>> > thousand pages.

>> joined this
>> >>

>> > I can't help but echo the reticence already expressed here
>> regarding the
>> > proprietary nature of this device.  If Akai wants to make money on the
>> > hardware by selling it to die-hard linux professional audio people,
>> either
>> > they do their own OS for it and charge whatever they think the whole
>> > package is worth, or open the device up just as if it was a GPL
>> piece of
>> > software and be prepared to sell the hardware for a decent price after
>> > assuming a sales level of x many units.  I certainly don't see 3 grand
>> > worth of parts, pcb, drive and silk screening there, far less in fact.
>> >
>> > I suspect that there will be very little support offered by the
>> average
>> > liux coder if he knows the patches he writes will disappear into
>> something
>> > that is not going to be open-sourced.
>> >
>> > From my viewpoint, Akai's legal dept., who is obviously controlling
>> what
>> > Renich can say, will see to it that the product fails.  Its up to
>> Akai to
>> > make a liar out of me.  If they would join the open source camp by
>> > supporting the coders with all the info, publicly available to any and
>> > all, that they will need to write the drivers this device will need,
>> > distribute this OS under the GPL with a server that lets *anyone*
>> download
>> > it for free, or on a mailable cd for a couple of bucks american, while
>> > selling the hardware for $1000 to $1500, and watch the hardware sales
>> > blossum like our wild flowers along the interstate.  Thats because the
>> > unshackled coders will write stuff that stretches the limits of
>> what the
>> > hardware can do, just to see if they can.  Its rather like climbing
>> Mt.
> [...]
Well, that would be selfish. I have the other users in mind. What good
would it be for others if I do as you say? We already bought the
hardware and the OS isn't what it should be. Maybe they don't want to
support it, maybe they can't. I don't care, I do care about making music
and the users at the end. That is why I am trying.