[linux-audio-dev] Re: Akai's MPC4000 Sampler/Workstation Open Source Project

Renich Bon Ćirić renich at woralelandia.com
Sat Jul 29 04:48:57 UTC 2006

Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 13:29 -0500, Renich Bon Ćirić wrote:
>
> -<sinp>
>

>>> you mean you are willing to try and find some one to write you a
>>> new
>>> OS for free? How much of the coding will you do? How about you just
>>> buy a little rack mount pc and an mpd16? then you have the pads
>>> from
>>> the mpc and a whole lot more processing power. You could put a nice
>>> interface in the same little rack box and then you'll have less
>>> random
>>> stuff to carry to a gig and might actually build a better
>>> intergrated
>>> solution that everyone can use. You might get a lot more support
>>> from
>>> everyone then. Ebay might be a good place for your mpc.
>>>
>>> Loki
>>>

>> Well, that would be selfish. I have the other users in mind. What good
>> would it be for others if I do as you say? We already bought the
>> hardware and the OS isn't what it should be. Maybe they don't want to
>> support it, maybe they can't. I don't care, I do care about making
>> music and the users at the end. That is why I am trying.

Well, the system has some major, important bugs. You could search a list
of it on the unnofficial support forum, www.mpc-forums.com, since akai
doesn't even have a bug tracking system, at least outside.

The last version was released 1.5 years ago. The update has a great
number of bugs still in it. This bugs could be corrected easily, the
developers say, but they haven't been corrected.

Support from akai is very strange, you do have a support at akaipro.com
email, but they usually just say that akai has nothing to do with it and
that you should forget it.

The hardware is great... the service isn't... they could be so
successful,..